Saturday, January 19, 2008

Restaurant Review: Javan, Persian Cuisine

As I write, I'm listening to some nice, mellow music that is playing on Javan's website, which is very tastefully done. Located on Wisconsin Avenue in Bethesda, the new owner turned what used to be a total dump Mongolian Grill into an intimate dining experience. The deep, low-light interior, white table clothes and excellent service are more upscale than the style of food offered. But the flavors of the stews and kabobs are marvelous. Javan is also reasonably priced.

Tom Sietsema's Washington Post review is ridiculously negative. Clearly, he likes the 19-year-old owner. He doesn't see that the light seasoning is very good because you can actually taste the different flavors, none over power the others. Last night, my husband and I shared the three-stew appitizer. He had the beef shish kabba and have soup as my main course.

This is their disription of the soup: "Ash Reshteh, a tastily cooked combination of vermicelli noodles, red kidney beans, garbanzo beans parsley, green onions, cilantro, spinach, herbs & kashk."

These are three stews: Gormeh Sabzi, sautééed herbs cooked with dried limes, beef & red kidney beans, special seasoning,served with Basmati rice; Fessenjon, sautééed fround walnuts in pomegranate sauce, mixed with boiled chicken & a side of Basmati rice; and, Ghaimeh Bademjon, sautééed egg planet cooked in a special tomato sauce, yellow peas & onion sauce, served with beef & a side of Basmati rice. All of which tasted lovely. The rice was a crunchy rice that I like more than my huband did. He felt it was too dry where there was no sauce.

My only criticism is that I'd like more vegetarian dishes; but then I'm a lapsed vegetarian and would like some more vegetarian restaurants in DC and Montgomery County. It would be great if someone opened an Angelica Kitchen here!!!!!

1 comment:

Elle said...

Wow, that sounds terrific and exotic. I'd love to try that.