Sunday, June 15, 2008

The End of Cashiers? Cha Ching!

We shop weekly at Giant supermarket. Today, we discovered a new 'feature': Easy Shop. Essentially, you sign in and get a bar code reader. As you shop, you scan your own items. It worked pretty well on packaged goods and I liked seeing how much each item costs and what my total was. But when it came to produce, it was more complicated and annoying. When the bar code reader didn't recognize a product, we had to look it up in pretty much like a cashier does. "Am i getting a discount for doing all of this work on my own?" my husband griped. The answer is No. Then, when we went to check out, the computer totally didn't understand what we were doing. The directions, quite detailed every where else, were inadequate and a store manager had to check us out.

My neighbor hates the self-check out aisles. They decrease the number of jobs for unskilled labor. I agree. And, this scan-it yourself really decreases the number of unskilled employees they need. And the customer has become an unpaid, semi-skilled grocery worker. Next, I'll be standing over the steamer to dry-clean my clothes.

Oddly, I don't see anything about this service on Giant's website.

No comments: